Monday, February 7, 2011

Let the shafting begin - March 2009

In March 2009 we were told that we were going to undergo "job audits" - meaning someone would be
riding with the drivers to determine how to make the routes more efficient in regards to deliveries.
What they did not tell us was that there was another cloud on the horizon...a dirty word called "downsizing" which in a later blog I will disprove.
At the time I did not know how much more efficient we could get as a team.  According to Joe I. and MES, the client was happy with the work we were doing, and as far as I was concerned, that was the most important thing.
All I saw at the time was an opportunity to shaft somebody out of their job, and it turns out later that I was right.  During this time, my trust factor was gone, and unknown to me, I was showing the early manifestation of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder....irratability, confusion and a quick temper when people would not let me do my job...particularly MES, who, as per his Lebanese culture, believed women belonged at home with the children and also broke Ontario laws several times by smoking in my worktruck.  He also smoked in the crossdock office, but this is all denied by Ryder Logistics, so it must be true, right? 
Sure...and my dog can fly.
Back to the job audits issue....later on known as "right sizing process" as per the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
Talk about leading a lamb to the slaughter - in my opinion. 
Of the four drivers who went out on so-called "job audits" in the first week of April - three lost their jobs on April 14th, 2009...including me.  
The only woman, one who just came back from a back issue, and the oldest driver of all of us.  If I were an outsider looking in, this would look awfully fishy.

No comments:

Post a Comment